Check, Please! Bay Area
- Watch Complete Episodes:
- at video.kqed.org
Check, Please! Bay Area features guests and eateries as diverse the Bay Area itself. In each episode of the James Beard and Emmy Award-winning program, three local diners share their favorite spots and critique each others' choices. They visit each restaurant anonymously - the restaurants are not notified that Check, Please! reviewers are present. After trying each others' recommendations, the diners join host and moderator Leslie Sbrocco to discuss, dispute and celebrate their dining experiences with lively commentary.
Bocanova, Willi's Wine Bar, The Rotunda of Neiman Marcus (#805H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* Latin-inspired flavors thrill the palate at the Pan-American Grill, Bocanova, in Jack London Square.
* Next, small plates, a local handpicked winelist and worldly flavors abound at Willi's Wine Bar in Santa Rosa.
* Lastly, elegant and chic, The Rotunda of Neiman Marcus serves lunch, afternoon tea and lots of bubbles under its landmark, stained-glass dome in San Francisco.
- KQED Life: Sat, Nov 28, 2015 -- 2:30am
- KQED 9: Sat, Nov 28, 2015 -- 2:30am
Hunan Home's Restaurant, Radius Restaurant and Cafe, Guerilla Cafe (#806H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* The destination this time is Chinatown for scintillating seasonings and sizzling satisfaction at Hunan Home's Restaurant.
* Then off to SOMA where Radius Restaurant and Cafe proudly serves up modern California Cuisine using only local and fresh ingredients from the Bay Area.
* Finally, hipster meets gourmet at the delicious Berkeley breakfast and brunch spot, Guerilla Cafe.
Contigo, Smoke Berkeley and Paradiso (#902H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
At our first restaurant, the bright bold flavors of Catalan cooking are the pride and joy of tasty tapas spot Contigo in San Francisco. For Texas-style barbeque done right, we follow the blazing smoke trails over the bridge to Smoke Berkeley. Finally, San Leandro neighborhood gem Paradiso features fresh Mediterranean cuisine, along with a page-turning wine list.
Miller's East Coast West Delicatessen, Picante, Da Flora (#203H) Duration: 26:13 STEREO TVG
Authentic ingredients flown in from New York, make this delicatessen a special find; while flavors cultivated from a love affair with Mexico are the inspiration at our next stop. And finally the Veneto region of Italy is the focus, with just a dab of Hungarian.
Cosecha, Bull Valley Roadhouse and Michael Warring (#1001H) Duration: 26:03 STEREO TVG
Made-from-scratch Mexican dishes at Cosecha, Bull Valley Roadhouse's comfort food and Michael Warring's molecular cuisine. Will the Bay Area diners agree on their favorite local spots? Leslie Sbrocco hosts.
Da Lian, The Mountain House, Buca Di Beppo (#219H) Duration: 27:47 STEREO TVG
Full platters, pleasure and parties are the plan at our first stop. Then authentic Northern Chinese flavors remind one guest of times past. And the long and winding road leads to a game-centric menu in a rural setting.
Addis, Woodhouse Fish Co., Panama Hotel & Restaura (#509H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
Using your fingers and sharing makes for a perfect meal at Addis Ethiopian Restaurant. At Woodhouse Fish Company you can navigate through the crab-shack fare to find both traditional and innovative seafood dishes. Lastly, you'll find the little bed and breakfast place called the Panama Hotel and Restaurant tucked away in a residential area serving up Californian cuisine with a twist.
Little Shin Shin, The Refuge and Canela Bistro and Wine Bar (#808H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* A veteran Chinese restaurant in Oakland, Little Shin Shin Restaurant invites us to try their fresh and delicious Hunan, Sichuan, Mandarin, and Cantonese-style dishes.
* Next, the classically-trained chefs at The Refuge in San Carlos combine beer with traditionally prepared pastrami.
* Lastly, taste a little Madrid-in-San Francisco, at Canela Bistro and Wine Bar, where local ingredients blend with imported goodies from Spain.
Ristorante Milano, Scolari's Good Eats and Fuse Box (#1002H) Duration: 26:03 STEREO TVG
Host Leslie Sbrocco and guests discuss their favorite Bay Area restaurants, featuring fresh Northern Italian fare, towering fork-and-knife burgers and Seoul food that meets soul food. Will the guests agree?
- KQED 9: Sat, Dec 12, 2015 -- 9:00am Remind me
La Folie, Aldo's Ristorante & Bar, Golden Lotus (#221H) Duration: 28:15 STEREO TVG
An elegant setting, French menu and perfect service meets home-style Italian with a Sorrento born chef and authentic musical entertainment in this show. Both contrast the vegetarian restaurant with chicken, pork and beef on the menu.
Holy Land, Sodini's Bertolucci's Ristorante, B44 Catalan Bistro (#224H) Duration: 27:20 STEREO TVG
A Kosher restaurant is featured first this time, followed by traditional American Italian food served up in historic surroundings. Then a virtual trip to Barcelona can be found at a Catalonian eatery, with sidewalk tables and umbrellas in a busy city alley.
Capannina, Angeline's Louisiana Kitchen and Playground (#303H) Duration: 27:18 STEREO TVG
Contemporary decorations and a menu featuring flavors from the Isle of Capri are available at our first restaurant. The next spot keeps its menu in the U.S. but travels south for a taste of New Orleans. Then it's off to Korea for some kimchee and karaoke.
Stella Alpina Osteria, Bette's Oceanview Diner, Chou Chou (#306H) Duration: 26:08 STEREO TVG
Fresh, local, Northern Italian-flavors mark this subterranean osteria as our first stop. Next, a diner that's been serving breakfast and lunch for more than 20 years. Finally, we cross the Atlantic again for a visit to a French bistro with a host brimming with personality.
- KQED 9: Thu, Dec 17, 2015 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Naschmarkt, Cafe Tiramisu and Wood Tavern (#809H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* A little taste of Austria thrives in downtown Campbell at Naschmarkt Restaurant, where the Vienna-born chef lightens up schnitzels and spatzles with Californian ingredients.
* Next, Cafe Tiramisu in San Francisco's scenic Belden Place charms Italian aficionados with its authentic fare and al fresco, alleyway-ambiance.
* Heading east, Oakland's Wood Tavern is a College Avenue neighborhood hub that offers an American brasserie-inspired menu.
Chez Maman, Half Moon Bay Brewing Company, Kirala (#309H) Duration: 26:17 STEREO TVG
With a counter and 2 tables inside, and 3 tables outside, our first place is small - small, but with lots of French bistro and American fare. Space is not an issue at the next venue - with the Ocean right outside, it serves up a varied menu. Finally, a Japanese place where sushi and a Robata grill are the main features.
Mescolanza Restaurant, Basque Cultural Center, Alexander's Steakhouse (#401H) Duration: 26:51 STEREO TVG
Season 4 begins with an Italian spot that's been around for more than 20 years. It's easy to miss, so keep your eyes peeled for this cozy little place specializing in pasta and pizzetta. The next restaurant is housed in a large complex - not the place for romantic ambiance, but the food is traditional, priced right and so good. Finally, Wagyu beef and high end gourmet ingredients are the specialty at our last destination, so be prepared to open up your taste buds and your wallet for that something special!
Borobudur Restaurant, Alegria's, Poggio (#404H) Duration: 26:21 STEREO TVG
Indonesian food starts the show at Borobudur Restaurant. Then traditional Spanish cuisine at Alegria's. Finally we visit Poggio for an Italian dining experience.
Indian Palace, Thanh Long, Oliveto Cafe and Restaurant (#405H) Duration: 27:16 STEREO TVG
First Indian Palace delivers traditional recipes in an unlikely location, followed by crab, crab and more crab at Thanh Long. Then it's Italian elegance served up at Oliveto Cafe and Restaurant.
- KQED 9: Thu, Dec 24, 2015 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Live Sushi, Chavez Supermarket and Taqueria, and Bistro Vis a Vis (#811H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* Cool but cozy, Live Sushi delivers fresh seafood and a creative spin to traditional Japanese cuisine. It's in the heart of the Excelsior District of San Francisco.
* Unpretentious Chavez Supermarket and Taqueria in Hayward is a quick stop for Mexican comfort food favorites - stop, and shop for groceries at the same time!
* Last, but not least, Greenbrae's hidden gem Bistro Vis a Vis presents Marin residents with a chance to enjoy elegant, sustainable and locally-sourced food without driving to the city.
Monsieur Benjamin, Aly's On Main and Hog Island (#1009H) Duration: 24:34 STEREO TVG
Our first visit is a Parisian-style bistro in San Francisco where the modern setting belies the traditional menu at Monsieur Benjamin. Next, a gathering spot for locals desiring a seasonal, contemporary menu at Aly's on Main in Redwood City. And finally, this bayside location with stunning views serves up the ultimate in fresh and local seafood at Hog Island Oyster Company in San Francisco's Ferry Building.
- KQED Plus: Sat, Dec 26, 2015 -- 3:00pm Remind me
Zeni Ethiopian, Quinn's Lighthouse, Aquerello (#406H) Duration: 27:26 STEREO TVG
The unexpected unites the three restaurants this week. Zeni Ethiopian Restaurant's surprising location makes it a "find". Flying peanuts hitting the floor at Quinn's Lighthouse Restaurant & Pub make a casual statement while Aquerello's historical location support the quiet elegance of the old church's surroundings.
The Old Clam House, Gialina, Mustards Grill (#407H) Duration: 26:03 STEREO TVG
A turn of the century building has housed The Old Clam House for over 100 years and its still serving some of the same fare. In contrast, Gialina has only been around for three years and delivers a contemporary menu. American food traditions continue at Mustards Grill, which celebrated its 25th birthday in 2008.
Pomelo, Deedee's, Farina (#502H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Enjoy a light take on healthy, family-style vegetarian cuisine from North Western India at Deedee's on Lafayette Street in Santa Clara. Next, Farina on 18th in San Francisco takes you to the Ligurian region of Italy where fresh, organic ingredients shine. Finally, Pomelo on Church in San Francisco offers global tastes with fragrant aromas and big bowls of nourishment.
Memo's Mexican Cuisine, Souls Restaurant & Flea (#504H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
Perfectly executed family recipes from North-Central Mexico and a house specialty of Chicken Pipian make Memo's Mexican Cuisine a great spot. And, the community spirit at a church-run spot adds another level of enjoyment at Souls Restaurant, where soul food is prepared fresh every day by members of the neighborhood. Finally, flavorful, fun, sustainable cuisine bought locally to make signature comfort foods and devilish desserts are at Flea Street Cafe.
El Metate, Creola Bistro & Benjarong (#508H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Mexican food just like our guest's grandmother used to make can be found at El Metate Restaurant.
And CreoLa Bistro is a quaint place with all things Cajun and Creole and flavors from Louisiana. < br>Finally, for colorful Thai food served up in a calm, spa-like atmosphere go to Benjarong Thai Cuisine.
Don Pico's Bistro, Lovejoy's Tea Room, Saha (#601H) Duration: 26:47 STEREO TVG
First, a celebration of food from Mexico, "taking tea" in a unique setting, and exotic dining with Yemenese Arabic cuisine. The guests make a lively bunch that revels in their restaurant selections of Don Pico's Mexican Bistro and Cevicheria, Lovejoy's Tea Room, and Saha. Leslie Sbrocco hosts.
- KQED 9: Thu, Jan 7, 2016 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Elite Cafe, Grand Oaks, Risibisi (#603H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
This week's guests invite Bay Area diners to sample Cajun classics and more from The Elite Cafe, share tasty bites while watching the game at Grand Oaks Restaurant and Sports Lounge, and savor earthy Italian food at Risibisi Italian Restaurant. Leslie Sbrocco hosts.
Dosa, Sapore Italiano Ristorante, Gather (#608H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Visit an eco-friendly spot serving innovative South Indian fare with Dosa in San Francisco. Next, Sapore Italiano Ristorante's menu tours Italy without leaving its location in Burlingame. Vegetarians and omnivores share equal status with the inspired cuisine at Gather in Berkeley.
Pork Store Cafe, Pizzaiolo, Zarzuela (#609H) Duration: 26:47 STEREO TVG
Diners start the day right with a hearty breakfast at a spot called Pork Store Cafe in San Francisco. Then head off to Pizzaiolo in Oakland for some of the best wood fired pizzas using organic, local products. For the last stop, take pleasure in the tantalizing flavors of traditional tapas and Spanish dishes at Zarzuela in San Francisco.
Roti Indian, Chop Bar & Park Tavern (#712H) Duration: 26:47 STEREO TVG
Roti Indian Bistro, Chop Bar and Park Tavern are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Helmand Palace, El Huarache Loco, Izzy's (#612H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Local diners enjoy the fragrant Afghani spices and hearty portions served at Helmand Palace in San Francisco; the Mexican food at El Huarache Loco, a unique dining spot found at the Alemany Farmers' Markets and at "Off the Grid"; and Izzy's Steaks and Chops, a San Francisco tradition for the past 25 years.
- KQED 9: Thu, Jan 14, 2016 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Angkor Borei, Indigo, Farallon (#801H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Our first San Francisco restaurant, Angkor Borei, provides traditional Cambodian cuisine that has been satisfying customers for nearly thirty years.
* Next, Indigo's expansive wooden bar and open ambiance creates the perfect setting for the touch-of-Asian in the New American cuisine served there.
* Lastly housed in an historic building, Farallon invites all seafood lovers to dine in spectacularly creative, decorative surroundings.
- KQED 9: Fri, Jan 15, 2016 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Zare at Fly Trap, Barrio Fiesta, Flora (#802H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
You don't have to travel far for Persian influenced Mediterranean cuisine as you can find it right here in San Francisco at Zare at Fly Trap.
* And, anyone looking for a festive location to celebrate with friends and family should visit Milpitas where Barrio Fiesta specializes in Filipino cooking.
* Finally, for a great place to relax and admire the surroundings you can pop into the old flower depot building in Oakland where Flora serves up their signature cocktails.
Chiaroscuro, Chef Chu's and Lanesplitter Pizza And (#703H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Chiaroscuro, Chef Chu's and Lanesplitter Pizza and Pub are the eateries selected by local diners. Will all three Bay Area diners agree on their favorites?
Rivoli, The Chairman and Station House Cafe (#704H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
This week's show features favorite eateries which all specialize in serving fresh foods to their customers. For more than 18 years, Berkeley's classic Rivoli Restaurant has been providing diners with delicious seasonal California cuisine. Next, we chase down The Chairman Truck, a traveling eatery which serves savory Chinese food to long lines of hungry and excited customers. Finally, enjoy fresh, local, and perfectly prepared oysters, seafood, and produce inside or al fresco at The Station House Cafe, located on Highway One in Point Reyes.
Aslam's Rasoi, Poesia, and encuentro cafe and wine bar (#807H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* Rich and spicy, family recipes from North India and Pakistan are served up with smiles at Aslam's Rasoi, in San Francisco.
* Poetry readings meet southern Italian cuisine at our next eatery in an old Victorian at the Castro-based Poesia.
* Finally we cross the bay to Oakland, to find the contemporary, vegetarian spot, encuentro cafe and wine bar, for organic, locally-sourced plates and an extensive wine list.
Caffe La Scala, Lers Ros and 1300 On Fillmore (#707H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Caffe La Scala (Walnut Creek), Lers Ros (San Francisco) and 1300 on Fillmore (San Francisco) are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Salute E Vita Ristorante, Lolo Restaurant and Le G (#710H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Salute e Vita Ristorante (Richmond), Lolo Restaurant (San Francisco) and Le Garage (Sausalito) are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Bella Trattoria, Outerlands & Greens Restaurant (#711H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
San Francisco restaurants Bella Trattoria, Outerlands and Greens Restaurants are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?