Check, Please! Bay Area
- Watch Complete Episodes:
- at video.kqed.org
Check, Please! Bay Area features guests and eateries as diverse the Bay Area itself. In each episode of the James Beard and Emmy Award-winning program, three local diners share their favorite spots and critique each others' choices. They visit each restaurant anonymously - the restaurants are not notified that Check, Please! reviewers are present. After trying each others' recommendations, the diners join host and moderator Leslie Sbrocco to discuss, dispute and celebrate their dining experiences with lively commentary.
Sichuan Fortune House, Manor , L'ardoise Bistro (#510H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
Authentic, traditional Sichuan cooking shines at Sichuan Fortune House. Next, a humble spot called Manor Coffee Shop is caught in a time capsule and proud to call itself a diner. And lastly, an old-school, neighborhood French bistro, perfect for a dreamy, heart-warming meal is known as L'Ardoise Bistro.
Bay Wolf, Green Chile Kitchen and Back A Yard Caribbean-American Grill (#702H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Bay Wolf, Green Chile Kitchen and Back A Yard Caribbean-American Grill are the restaurants selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Pagolac, Della Santina & Zazie (#511H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
Pagolac: Mom's Vietnamese Kitchen is an elegant hole-in-the-wall where the food doesn't rely on presentation... just flavor. Next, a gated entry and pathway lead to Della Santina's Trattoria, with its open air patio, perfect for the Italian menu built of family recipes from Lucca. Finally, it's easy to drive past Zazie Restaurant, a hidden French Bistro with a cozy atmosphere and updated French menu.
Dragon Rouge Restaurant, Marnee Thai and Butterfly Restaurant (#913H) Duration: 25:11 STEREO TVG
Prepare to revisit three Asian-themed restaurants from previous series, beginning in Alameda where fresh and flavorful Vietnamese cuisine stars at Dragon Rouge Restaurant. Next, authentic family-style Thai food with royal roots is found at Marnee Thai Restaurant in San Francisco. We end comfortably seated and enjoying modern Asian cuisine in a large open space on the Embarcadero by the Bay at Butterfly Restaurant.
Tropisueno, Bobo's and Pisces California (#512H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
Tropisueno Mexican Kitchen is a great place to congregate with friends for top-shelf Margaritas and hearty Mexican food. Next, a place decorated with an amusing touch of the circus, although the real spectacle is the special dry-aged steak at Bobo's. Finally, a little upscale neighborhood place with good food at reasonable prices at Pisces California Cuisine.
Addis, Woodhouse Fish Co., Panama Hotel & Restaura (#509H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
Using your fingers and sharing makes for a perfect meal at Addis Ethiopian Restaurant. At Woodhouse Fish Company you can navigate through the crab-shack fare to find both traditional and innovative seafood dishes. Lastly, you'll find the little bed and breakfast place called the Panama Hotel and Restaurant tucked away in a residential area serving up Californian cuisine with a twist.
Hana Japanese Restaurant, Cocotte and Sakoon (#911H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
We start in Rohnert Park at Hana Japanese Restaurant for a superb sushi experience and a sock-it-to-'ya sake menu! Next, c'est si bon brasserie Cocotte in San Francisco showcases locally-sourced ingredients for its rustic rotisserie recipes and namesake dish. Lastly, we visit Sakoon in Mountain View, where traditional Indian cuisine is delivered in a modern presentation with a cosmopolitan vibe.
- KQED Plus: Sat, Oct 4, 2014 -- 3:00pm email reminder
El Metate, Creola Bistro & Benjarong (#508H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Mexican food just like our guest's grandmother used to make can be found at El Metate Restaurant.
And CreoLa Bistro is a quaint place with all things Cajun and Creole and flavors from Louisiana. < br>Finally, for colorful Thai food served up in a calm, spa-like atmosphere go to Benjarong Thai Cuisine.
- KQED 9: Sun, Oct 5, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Elite Cafe, Grand Oaks, Risibisi (#603H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
This week's guests invite Bay Area diners to sample Cajun classics and more from The Elite Cafe, share tasty bites while watching the game at Grand Oaks Restaurant and Sports Lounge, and savor earthy Italian food at Risibisi Italian Restaurant. Leslie Sbrocco hosts.
Mandalay, Cafe Gibraltar, Alhamra (#604H) Duration: 26:45 STEREO TVG
Join this week's guests as they travel to Burma, California, and India ... without leaving the table! Mandalay features Burmese and Mandarin cuisine, Cafe Gibraltar offers a gateway to the Mediterranean, and Alhamra serves up Indian favorites. Leslie Sbrocco hosts.
Chiaroscuro, Chef Chu's and Lanesplitter Pizza And (#703H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Chiaroscuro, Chef Chu's and Lanesplitter Pizza and Pub are the eateries selected by local diners. Will all three Bay Area diners agree on their favorites?
Rhea's Market and Deli, Sauce, the girl & the fig (#606H) Duration: 26:47 STEREO TVG
Is it a deli or is it just a liquor store? Take the plunge and venture to Valencia Street in San Francisco to find the best sandwiches in town at Rhea's Market and Deli. The next place stays open late so you can party or dine on American fare well into the early hours at Sauce in San Francisco. Finally, just off the plaza in Sonoma, the girl & the fig features locally sourced menu of "country food with a French passion."
- KQED 9: Thu, Oct 9, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Ristorante Ideale, La Mediterranee and La Ciccia (#914H) Duration: 25:49 STEREO TVG
In this episode, we revisit three Mediterranean-themed restaurants from previous series. Our first stop serves dishes you'll find on the busy side streets of Rome. Now you can enjoy them in San Francisco at Ristorante Ideale. Then, a casual place in Berkeley where energetic and charming staff serves crispy wrappers surrounding flavorful fillings at Le Mediterranee. Lastly, homey comfort, a warm welcome and pungent, lively flavors contrast with those of the Italian mainland at a Sardinian spot located in San Francisco called La Ciccia.
Dosa, Sapore Italiano Ristorante, Gather (#608H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Visit an eco-friendly spot serving innovative South Indian fare with Dosa in San Francisco. Next, Sapore Italiano Ristorante's menu tours Italy without leaving its location in Burlingame. Vegetarians and omnivores share equal status with the inspired cuisine at Gather in Berkeley.
- KQED 9: Fri, Oct 10, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Pork Store Cafe, Pizzaiolo, Zarzuela (#609H) Duration: 26:47 STEREO TVG
Diners start the day right with a hearty breakfast at a spot called Pork Store Cafe in San Francisco. Then head off to Pizzaiolo in Oakland for some of the best wood fired pizzas using organic, local products. For the last stop, take pleasure in the tantalizing flavors of traditional tapas and Spanish dishes at Zarzuela in San Francisco.
La Mexicana, Kabuto Sushi, Pazzia (#610H) Duration: 26:47 STEREO TVG
Diners recommend the fresh hand-made tortillas and traditional menu at La Mexicana Restaurant in Oakland, new sushi combinations that will make your mouth water at cozy Kabuto Sushi in San Francisco, and Florentine and Northern Italian dishes at their best in San Francisco at a place called Pazzia Restaurant & Pizzeria.
Rivoli, The Chairman and Station House Cafe (#704H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
This week's show features favorite eateries which all specialize in serving fresh foods to their customers. For more than 18 years, Berkeley's classic Rivoli Restaurant has been providing diners with delicious seasonal California cuisine. Next, we chase down The Chairman Truck, a traveling eatery which serves savory Chinese food to long lines of hungry and excited customers. Finally, enjoy fresh, local, and perfectly prepared oysters, seafood, and produce inside or al fresco at The Station House Cafe, located on Highway One in Point Reyes.
Helmand Palace, El Huarache Loco, Izzy's (#612H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Local diners enjoy the fragrant Afghani spices and hearty portions served at Helmand Palace in San Francisco; the Mexican food at El Huarache Loco, a unique dining spot found at the Alemany Farmers' Markets and at "Off the Grid"; and Izzy's Steaks and Chops, a San Francisco tradition for the past 25 years.
- KQED 9: Thu, Oct 16, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder
The Grubstake, Turk and Larkin Deli and Tanguito-Argentinean Grill & Empanadas (#915H) Duration: 26:55 STEREO TVG
Three Mom n' Pop restaurants located in San Francisco from previous series are featured this time.... At The Grubstake, breakfast, lunch and dinner 'til late keeps this place popular around the clock with American and Portuguese offerings. Then, located close to the courthouse on Turk at Larkin, the Turk and Larkin Deli serves up fresh, tasty fare in an atmosphere that takes you back to yesteryear. Next time you visit Fisherman's Wharf, keep on walking past the crab stands and go directly to Tanguito - Argentinean Grill and Empanadas for delicious bold tastes of South America.
Bellanico, Davey Jones Deli and Gamine (#701H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Bellanico, Davey Jones Deli and Gamine are the restaurants selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
- KQED 9: Fri, Oct 17, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder
All Spice, Sorella Di Zza's & Hillstone (#705H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
We follow the full-bodied aromas wafting around San Mateo to All Spice, a hidden gem serving tantalizing Indian fusion dishes. Next, Oakland's family friendly Sorella di Zza's cooks up authentic Italian recipes that owner Regina's Grandma used to make. Finally, we end the show just off San Francisco's Embarcadero at Hillstone where the food is plentiful and the service shines.
- KQED Plus: Thu, Oct 23, 2014 -- 12:30am email reminder
The Front Porch, Memphis Minnie's Barbeque Joint and Auntie April's Chicken, Waffles & Soul Food (#916H) Duration: 26:53 STEREO TVG
Southern Food restaurants in San Francisco from previous series hit the spot this time! First, it's a neighborhood place that looks like a converted garage with a relaxing waiting area outside, serving up Southern soul food with a Caribbean twist, and it's called The Front Porch. Next, we're featuring 'down-home-dinette' barbeque with slow cooked meats to eat with or without the sauce at Memphis Minnie's Barbeque Joint. Finally, we visit Auntie April's Chicken, Waffles & Soul Food, an unpretentious, finger-lickin' eatery that's priced just right.
Phnom Penh House, Pho VI Hoa and Grand Cafe (#706H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Phnom Penh House (Oakland), Pho Vi Hoa (Los Altos) and Grand Cafe (San Francisco) are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Luka's Taproom & Lounge, King of Falafel and La Costanera Restaurant (#912H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
We start in Oakland at Luka's Taproom and Lounge with its eclectic menu, extensive bar and spacious dance floor. Next, San Francisco's King of Falafel has been offering diners a taste of a Middle Eastern classic for more than 40 years. Lastly, we head to Montara for contemporary Peruvian cuisine served with a side of ocean-front views, at La Costanera Restaurant.
- KQED Plus: Sat, Oct 25, 2014 -- 3:00pm email reminder
Caffe La Scala, Lers Ros and 1300 On Fillmore (#707H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Caffe La Scala (Walnut Creek), Lers Ros (San Francisco) and 1300 on Fillmore (San Francisco) are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
- KQED 9: Tue, Oct 28, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder
- KQED 9: Fri, Oct 31, 2014 -- 8:30pm email reminder
- KQED 9: Sat, Nov 1, 2014 -- 2:30am email reminder
- KQED Life: Sat, Nov 1, 2014 -- 6:30pm email reminder
- KQED Life: Sun, Nov 2, 2014 -- 10:30am email reminder
- KQED Life: Sun, Nov 2, 2014 -- 5:00pm email reminder
- KQED Plus: Thu, Nov 6, 2014 -- 12:30am email reminder
Source, Morning Due Cafe and Mua (#708H) Duration: 26:47 STEREO TVG
Source (San Francisco), Morning Due Cafe (San Francisco) and Mua (Oakland) are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Miller's East Coast West Delicatessen, Picante, Da Flora (#203H) Duration: 26:13 STEREO TVG
Authentic ingredients flown in from New York, make this delicatessen a special find; while flavors cultivated from a love affair with Mexico are the inspiration at our next stop. And finally the Veneto region of Italy is the focus, with just a dab of Hungarian.
Borobudur Restaurant, Alegria's, Poggio (#404H) Duration: 26:21 STEREO TVG
Indonesian food starts the show at Borobudur Restaurant. Then traditional Spanish cuisine at Alegria's. Finally we visit Poggio for an Italian dining experience.
Cafe Borrone, Wexler's and Big 4 Restaurant (#709H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Cafe Borrone (Menlo Park), Wexler's (San Francisco) and Big 4 Restaurant (San Francisco) are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Salute E Vita Ristorante, Lolo Restaurant and Le G (#710H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Salute e Vita Ristorante (Richmond), Lolo Restaurant (San Francisco) and Le Garage (Sausalito) are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Bella Trattoria, Outerlands & Greens Restaurant (#711H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
San Francisco restaurants Bella Trattoria, Outerlands and Greens Restaurants are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Roti Indian, Chop Bar & Park Tavern (#712H) Duration: 26:47 STEREO TVG
Roti Indian Bistro, Chop Bar and Park Tavern are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Angkor Borei, Indigo, Farallon (#801H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Our first San Francisco restaurant, Angkor Borei, provides traditional Cambodian cuisine that has been satisfying customers for nearly thirty years.
* Next, Indigo's expansive wooden bar and open ambiance creates the perfect setting for the touch-of-Asian in the New American cuisine served there.
* Lastly housed in an historic building, Farallon invites all seafood lovers to dine in spectacularly creative, decorative surroundings.
Zare at Fly Trap, Barrio Fiesta, Flora (#802H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
You don't have to travel far for Persian influenced Mediterranean cuisine as you can find it right here in San Francisco at Zare at Fly Trap.
* And, anyone looking for a festive location to celebrate with friends and family should visit Milpitas where Barrio Fiesta specializes in Filipino cooking.
* Finally, for a great place to relax and admire the surroundings you can pop into the old flower depot building in Oakland where Flora serves up their signature cocktails.
Pompei's Grotto, Lillie Mae's House of Soul Food, SPQR (#804H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* Our first restaurant, Pompei's Grotto, is a family owned spot on Fisherman's Wharf's that's been serving up fresh seafood since 1946.
* Next, Lillie Mae's House of Soul Food in Santa Clara makes homemade Southern comfort staples that satisfy heart and soul.
*Finally, combining a bustling San Francisco vibe with an intimate and cozy setting, SPQR delivers authentic, modern Italian cuisine and original Italian wine from small producers.
Bocanova, Willi's Wine Bar, The Rotunda of Neiman Marcus (#805H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* Latin-inspired flavors thrill the palate at the Pan-American Grill, Bocanova, in Jack London Square.
* Next, small plates, a local handpicked winelist and worldly flavors abound at Willi's Wine Bar in Santa Rosa.
* Lastly, elegant and chic, The Rotunda of Neiman Marcus serves lunch, afternoon tea and lots of bubbles under its landmark, stained-glass dome in San Francisco.
Hunan Home's Restaurant, Radius Restaurant and Cafe, Guerilla Cafe (#806H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* The destination this time is Chinatown for scintillating seasonings and sizzling satisfaction at Hunan Home's Restaurant.
* Then off to SOMA where Radius Restaurant and Cafe proudly serves up modern California Cuisine using only local and fresh ingredients from the Bay Area.
* Finally, hipster meets gourmet at the delicious Berkeley breakfast and brunch spot, Guerilla Cafe.
Aslam's Rasoi, Poesia, and encuentro cafe and wine bar (#807H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* Rich and spicy, family recipes from North India and Pakistan are served up with smiles at Aslam's Rasoi, in San Francisco.
* Poetry readings meet southern Italian cuisine at our next eatery in an old Victorian at the Castro-based Poesia.
* Finally we cross the bay to Oakland, to find the contemporary, vegetarian spot, encuentro cafe and wine bar, for organic, locally-sourced plates and an extensive wine list.
- KQED 9: Thu, Nov 13, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Little Shin Shin, The Refuge and Canela Bistro and Wine Bar (#808H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* A veteran Chinese restaurant in Oakland, Little Shin Shin Restaurant invites us to try their fresh and delicious Hunan, Sichuan, Mandarin, and Cantonese-style dishes.
* Next, the classically-trained chefs at The Refuge in San Carlos combine beer with traditionally prepared pastrami.
* Lastly, taste a little Madrid-in-San Francisco, at Canela Bistro and Wine Bar, where local ingredients blend with imported goodies from Spain.
- KQED 9: Fri, Nov 14, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Naschmarkt, Cafe Tiramisu and Wood Tavern (#809H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* A little taste of Austria thrives in downtown Campbell at Naschmarkt Restaurant, where the Vienna-born chef lightens up schnitzels and spatzles with Californian ingredients.
* Next, Cafe Tiramisu in San Francisco's scenic Belden Place charms Italian aficionados with its authentic fare and al fresco, alleyway-ambiance.
* Heading east, Oakland's Wood Tavern is a College Avenue neighborhood hub that offers an American brasserie-inspired menu.
HRD Smokin' Grill, Buddy's Bites and Brews, and Metro Lafayette (#810H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* Bold Korean ingredients are skillfully blended in North Beach at HRD Smokin' Grill to make an harmonious fusion of flavors.
* Hayward gets a taste of the beach at Buddy's Bites and Brews, where beers, cocktails and seafood support a laid-back lifestyle.
* Last up, offering the largest patio in the East Bay, and a sophisticated big-city menu in the heart of suburbia, the elegantly-casual Metro Lafayette delivers!
Live Sushi, Chavez Supermarket and Taqueria, and Bistro Vis a Vis (#811H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* Cool but cozy, Live Sushi delivers fresh seafood and a creative spin to traditional Japanese cuisine. It's in the heart of the Excelsior District of San Francisco.
* Unpretentious Chavez Supermarket and Taqueria in Hayward is a quick stop for Mexican comfort food favorites - stop, and shop for groceries at the same time!
* Last, but not least, Greenbrae's hidden gem Bistro Vis a Vis presents Marin residents with a chance to enjoy elegant, sustainable and locally-sourced food without driving to the city.
Zin Restaurant & Wine Bar, Turtle Tower and Copita Tequileria y Comida (#812H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* We head north to wine country for our first stop - to Healdsburg's Zin Restaurant & Wine Bar, where local, homegrown and house-made is the mantra.
* Then back to San Francisco, where a Vietnamese family simmers tasty broth for their Northern-style pho at Turtle Tower.
* Finally we cross the Bay to Sausalito and Copita Tequileria y Comida for authentic, traditional Mexican fare, tequila and a party atmosphere.
- KQED 9: Thu, Nov 20, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Bacon Bacon, Plaj Restaurant, Evvia Estiatorio (#901H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
If you've jumped on the bacon bandwagon, be sure to catch a ride with Bacon Bacon food truck as it scampers around the Bay - we're positive you'll be in hog heaven! Plaj Restaurant in San Francisco serves up distinctive ingredients in an elegant ambiance that provides a truly Nordic experience. Lastly, savor the foods of Grecian gods at Evvia Estiatorio in Palo Alto, where Greek wine and cuisine transport diners to a seat at Zeus' table.
- KQED 9: Fri, Nov 21, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Contigo, Smoke Berkeley and Paradiso (#902H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
At our first restaurant, the bright bold flavors of Catalan cooking are the pride and joy of tasty tapas spot Contigo in San Francisco. For Texas-style barbeque done right, we follow the blazing smoke trails over the bridge to Smoke Berkeley. Finally, San Leandro neighborhood gem Paradiso features fresh Mediterranean cuisine, along with a page-turning wine list.
Perbacco, Federicos Tapas & Wine Bar, Old Skool (#903H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
Exquisitely executed Milanese specialties shine at Perbacco in San Francisco's Financial district. Next, family-owned Federicos Tapas & Wine Bar in Union City offers savory small plates from around the globe, replete with colorful Venezuelan vim and vigor. Finally, San Francisco's Old Skool Cafe puts a progressive and philanthropic spin on classic supper club dining.
Paulie's Pickling, Zut! On Fourth, Marin Sun (#904H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Our first spot, Paulie's Pickling, has perfected its pickling performance with acidic-centric servings at a petite San Francisco location. Next, California and Mediterranean cuisine merge at eclectic East Bay eatery Zut! on Fourth in Berkeley. Lastly, we head up north to Point Reyes and Marin Sun Farms Butcher Shop & Restaurant for the ultimate in farm-to-fork feasting.
Maykadeh, Little Chihuahua Mexican, Pican (#905H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
First, Persian accents and aromatic spices fill the air in the heart of San Francisco's North Beach at Maykadeh Restaurant. Next, we run south of the border - ok, maybe just south of Market, where an impressive salsa bar awaits at The Little Chihuahua Mexican Restaurant in San Francisco's Noe Valley. Finally, we head east to get a taste of New Orleans and the South with piquant plates and big bold bourbons at Pican, in Oakland.
- KQED 9: Thu, Nov 27, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder