TV Daily Schedule: KQED 9
KQED 9: Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Comcast 9 and 709 • Digital 9.1, 54.2 or 25.1
Schedule is subject to change. Please visit kqed.org/tv/schedules/daily for the most up-to-date info.
12:00 amCharlie Rose [#19252] (original broadcast date: 12/10/13)
* General Ray Odierno, Chief of Staff of the Army
* Julian Fellowes on the upcoming season of Downton Abbey duration 56:47 STEREO TVRE
1:00 amNightly Business Report [#32265] duration 28:00 STEREO TVRE (Secondary audio: none)
1:30 amJFK: American Experience [#101(] Part One Follow JFK's rise to power from his birth to his election as president in 1960 - the youngest man ever to be elected to the office. With illuminating interviews from family members including sister Jean Kennedy Smith, niece Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, historian Robert Dallek and author Robert Caro, this episode offers new insight into Kennedy's early years, from his transformation from a sickly youth to Washington's most eligible bachelor to the nation's president.
(note: only part 1 is airing during our December 2013 fundraising. The entire program is available as a thank you gift for a membership contribution). duration 2:29:16 STEREO TVPG (Secondary audio: DVI)
4:00 amNature [#3101(] Saving Otter 501 On a typical late summer day a baby sea otter washes up on the beach in Monterey, California - hungry, lost, injured. It's a tragic event, but not surprising. California sea otters are struggling. For decades marine biologist Karl Mayer and his small staff have worked unceasingly - one otter at a time - to bring this "keystone" species back from the brink of extinction so it can play its important role in the local marine environment. But the effort has stalled, and no one knows why.
This is the story of the Monterey Bay Aquarium's 501st attempt to save an orphan otter. From her discovery as a stranded newborn pup crying on the beach through her rehabilitation in secret roof tanks atop the Aquarium, we follow as Otter 501 learns how to dive, hunt, eat, and fend for herself in the wild, where survival is a long shot at best. duration 1:29:15 SRND51 TVPG (Secondary audio: DVI)
5:30 amSaving The Ocean [#108H] Trinidad's Turtle Giants After local leaders launched a crusade to end the slaughter of Trinidad's thousand-pound leatherback turtles, the turtles were transformed from shark bait to tourist attraction. Now Trinidad's beaches support 80 percent of the entire Caribbean's leatherbacks and nearby villages make a great living catering to the visitors. duration 26:46 STEREO TVG
6:00 amPeg + Cat [#110H] The Race Car Problem/The Big Gig Problem The Race Car Problem - Junk Yard/Race Track Stadium. Peg and Cat rebuild their homemade race car, "Hot Buttered Lightnin'," to compete in the Talla-peg-a 20 race. Primary Content: More than, less than; Secondary Content: Solid shapes.
The Big Gig Problem - The Farm. Peg and Cat need to round up the missing members of their touring band, the Electric Eleven, in time for their big gig for 100 chickens. Primary Content: Counting backwards from 11; Secondary Content: Deductive reasoning, the 20s. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
6:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#121H] Reindeer Games/Along Came A Spider duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:00 amDaniel Tiger's Neighborhood [#132H] A Snowy Day/Tutu All The Time A Snowy Day: It's snowing in the Neighborhood! Miss Elaina is coming over to Daniel's house to play in the snow. When it's time to go outside, Mom Tiger helps Daniel change out of his pajamas into clothes that will keep him warm and he learns how important it is to choose the proper clothes. Tutu All the Time: Katerina is wearing her favorite sparkly tutu at school today! She likes to wear it all the time, even when she's painting and playing "grizzly bear" with her friends. But she soon learns how important it is to choose the proper clothes for the things you want to do. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:30 amCaillou [#317] Caillou The Helper * Caillou the Patient - While pretending to be a jet pilot Caillou falls down and scrapes his knees. Even though it hurts, he likes the extra attention from Mommy and Rosie. He's not sure he can run anymore, until he looks out the window and sees Leo and Clementine heading to the park!
* Caillou the Police Officer - When the traffic lights near school stop working a policeman comes to direct traffic. Caillou loves watching him and learns from Miss Martin about lots of different ways that police officers help people. Caillou decides he wants to help people too, and finds a whistle for directing traffic. Unfortunately his friends aren't very willing to be directed, but he does get to put Leo the bank robber in jail under the slide. He even finds a way to help the police officer... by bringing him a cool drink when he's done his work.
* Grandpa's Friend - Grandpa takes Caillou to the park one find day to meet his friend George. George has lots of funny stories about Grandpa when he was young. Caillou learns to play croquet, and even convinces the elderly pair to play one of his games - hide and seek! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:00 amCurious George [#501H] George and Marco Sound It Out/A Monkey's Duckling * George and Marco Sound It Out - Nothing can stop George from listening to his favorite band, Lobos de Plata, a Latin band that plays in Endless Park. So when the bandstand is taken down, George goes on a mission with his friend and band-member, 8 year-old Marco, to find a perfect place for the band to play. After a day of checking the acoustics at Pisghetti's, the zoo, and George's lobby, their last hope is the museum. Will it have a room that is quiet, won't produce echoes, and is large enough for an entire band?
* A Monkey's Duckling - George is so anxious for Dumpling Duck's eggs to hatch that he takes over as chief egg-sitter when Dumpling takes a break. When the first duckling emerges and sees George, he thinks the monkey is his mama! As George shows his doting protege the differences between a monkey and a duck, can he convince the duckling that birds of a feather should flock together? duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#117H] A Long Winter's Nap/The Tree Doctor * A Long Winter's Nap: Sally and Nick are so excited to go ice skating tomorrow, that they can't fall asleep! Cat's friend Boris the Bear can help! Off they go to the Gleep-sneep Woods to learn how Boris gets ready to take his long winter's nap. Back at home, Nick and Sally follow Boris' advice, and, with the help of a bedtime story from Cat, they quickly fall asleep.
* The Tree Doctor: Sally's little maple sapling hasn't grown any bigger! To discover why, The Cat in the Hat takes the kids to meet Dr. Twiggles. With the help of the doctor and his songs, Nick and Sally discover how trees "eat" - through their leaves and roots. They also learn that trees grow verrrry slowly. A few more years and their maple sapling will grow into a maple tree! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:00 amPeg + Cat [#104H] The Three Bears Problem/The Giant Problem The Three Bears Problem - Fairytale Land. Peg and Cat bring the Three Bears, the Three Little Pigs, and the Three Billy Goats Gruff together to form a super group: "The Electric Eleven." Primary Content: Adding 1; Secondary Content: Counting to 11.
The Giant Problem - Giant Land. Peg and Cat must attempt a great escape when they think the Giants want to eat them and their 8 fairy tale friends for lunch. Primary Content: Combinations that add up to 10; Secondary Content: Circle. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:30 amDinosaur Train [#121] Dinosaur Camouflage/Family Scavenger Hunt * Dinosaur Camouflage - Buddy and Tiny meet a shy dinosaur, Leslie Lesothosaurus, who is very good at hiding. The kids end up persuading Leslie to stop hiding, and come out to play with them.
* Scavenger Hunt - The Pteranodon family travels to the Big Pond for a Scavenger Hunt. Using clues and rhymes, the kids solve word puzzles and finally glimpse a bug-eating plant they thought was mere make-believe. duration 28:46 SRND51 TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:00 amClifford The Big Red Dog [#225] Little Big Pup/Getting to Know You * Little Big Pup: A very small new dog named Frankie moves to Birdwell Island and is envious of Clifford's size until he realizes that sometimes being small can be just right.
* Getting To Know You: When Clifford moves to the Island he makes friends with T-Bone, but the two dogs soon learn that some adjustments must be made to accommodate their size difference. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:30 amClifford's Puppy Days [#211] Show and Tell/What A Story Show and Tell: Although it lacks high tech robotics and glitz, EE's presentation of how she cares for Clifford is the hit of Show and Tell.
What a Story: When Daffodil agrees to tell the little Sidarsky kids a story, she's all set with a tale that's utterly satisfying. for a rabbit. It's not until she finally begins to incorporate some of the others' ideas that the story becomes a hit with her audience.